People believe that white (light) shingles is best for energy efficiency. Comparing light to dark color shingles; there is only a 1-3% temperature difference on the roof. With proper home ventilation and insulation your home will not experience the roof's temperature difference. Select the color that is best for you.
The general rule is to work from the top down. Since the roof removal may put a bit a dirt on the side of the house or debris following on your plantings. We recommend having the roof done first.
- Relocate your vehicle -- leaving free access to your parking space will be a great help and a safety measure for you.
- Consider your kids and pets -- A roof replacement may get a bit overwhelming for kids and pets due to loud noises. With any job site there are safety considerations.
- Move patio furniture and clear out your yard -- For your benefit and keeping your belongings safe, think about organizing your yard and patio before the project starts and remove any kids' toys, patio furniture, grills, potted plants, lawn ornaments, etc.
- Protect your belongings in the attic -- Roofer will be walking on your roof, hitting it with a hammer and other tools. As a result, some debris and dust might fall into the attic. Recommend covering your belongings for protection. Any valuable and/or fragile items; strongly suggest to remove them.
- Prune trees and cut the grass -- trim all tree branches near your roof before we begin so that we have unobstructed access to your roof. Cutting the grass before the work beings, it will be easier to clean any dust, debris and a nails.
- Satellite signal will be lost during roof installation -- Satellite dishes installed on or near your roof should be removed before the roof replacement. Please call your satellite service one (1) week before roof replacement to schedule the removal the day before and re-install the day after. Should your satellite dish not be removed before our arrival, our roofers will remove and do our best to place back in the same location (note: we cannot guarantee your satellite service). If it's an old and unused unit, we will dispose of it for you.
- Identify Accessible Power Outlets -- Our roofers will need access to power outlets outside of your home. If you don't have any outside, we will use those in the garage.
- Secure Windows -- Earlier, we mentioned the vibrations that might happen and debris may fall off the roof.
- Let your neighbors know -- the neighborly thing is to speak with neighbors about your planned roof replacement so they can prepare. They will appreciate it and also have the chance to rearrange their schedules if need be.
Both light-colored and dark-colored shingles can last longer if given the necessary maintenance, home ventilation and home insulation.
Making the exterior of your home a light color is the best way to make your home look larger, brighter, and more inviting. Light colors such as white, ivory, pale gray, and sage green reflect higher amounts of light than dark colors, tricking the eye into perceiving the home as larger than it is.
Typically, a new roof installation is a one to two day process, but it depends on the size of your roof. Some jobs can be completed in a day while others may take three. Whether your roof replacement will take one day or three, it will be very disruptive to your children and pets.
If you have a two-story house, then the banging will be a little muffled on the first floor. But no matter where you are in your home, you may hear loud noises, nail hammering, etc. until the sun goes down. It's also loud enough that your neighbors are going to hear it inside their house